No matter how experienced you are as a fisherman, you can almost always benefit from hiring a fishing guide. Fishing guides provide you with an opportunity to learn how to catch more and bigger fish. Fishing is a continuous learning experience, and a guide can help you make the most of your time on the water. Generally, the tip for a fishing guide should be based on the total experience of the trip, not just the number of fish caught.
As a guide, I have the privilege of sharing very special moments with customers. My customers work hard to make money, and I work hard to provide them with the best overall experience in return. The typical tip of a guide for our equipment service is 15 to 20%, which has become an industry standard. Regardless of the tip amount, I am very grateful for any tip on a guided day trip.
Here are the top 10 reasons why fishing guides have the most incredible job in the world:
- Spending 6 to 8 hours on a boat with someone is the way to really get to know a person, and years later I'm still in contact with most of my customers.
- Fishing guides are paid to take customers fishing.
- Fishing guides are experienced fishermen and outdoor lovers who are familiar with local waterways, know how to fish there, and are personal in a way that makes customers enjoy their time and build unforgettable memories.
- You can learn a lot about fishing and guiding from a good fishing guide who is willing to teach you.
- Like any other profession, being a fishing guide involves mastery of skill, years of experience, countless hours on the water perfecting your skills, along with an ardent passion and commitment in everything that fishing guides do.
- Introduce someone to fishing by pairing them with someone who can catch people for a living.
- Beyond learning the gear and technique, knowing what rocks to fish for, where the waters are and how to navigate them safely are characteristics of the fisheries that guides are dedicated to discovering day after day.
- Having an intuition for fishing is great for delivering fish on the deck, but it's important to have good judgment to make clear decisions that protect everyone and improve the customer experience.
- Patience is something that all fishing guides should have.
- Fishing guides who can get sponsorship agreements with fishing companies can actually reduce their operating costs.